Monday, March 22, 2021

US to Germany

Tues 3/9 - Wed 3/10

Well, the trip finally started after nearly a year of fits & starts.  Of course I had all of my documentation (a ton due to covid travel restrictions) but didn't expect to need it until entering Germany. Well right off the bat they wanted my paperwork at the Fresno airport check in.  When I pulled out the folder to get my docs, she says 'Oh, you must be my Frankfurt passenger'....that's so Fresno!  If that wasn't enough, she didn't know what Fulbright was, asking me if I was a student(!) due to the univ invite letters.  She had to call someone to figure it all out, while everyone else in line was understandably getting impatient.  So off to a great start!

The international terminal at San Francisco was deserted, way more workers than passengers. There were only 4 other people in my section of the plane.  So it was super great service, endless space, & virtually a private restroom.

Arrived in Frankfurt maybe 1am CA time.  My expected movement checking was flipped.  The customs/entry guy just looked at my docs for about 30 seconds, didn't say a thing and stamped the passport.  Very nice (sehr nett!).  Then directly to my lonely checked bags on the carousel. 

Then nearly empty first class (just a few euro more) on the train from Frankfurt so probably minimal exposure for nearly all of the trip (until the busy Stuttgart main train station but that was very brief). Overall, two flights, one train, and a streetcar; not bad.  I have a nice little airbnb in the middle of the city.  Will be doing some great 'field trips' with my Fulbright host here next week once I clear quarantine.  I get settled into the airbnb about noon (local) Wednesday.  Stuck here until sometime Monday for the (only) 5 day quarantine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Bike Tour with Albert

Albert is a colleage who works at the Fisheries Research Institute.  He was so kind to lend me this Dutch-style (he's Dutch) street bike...